Monday, June 25, 2012

Digging Out From All Kinds of Messes

Again I've been MIA
When my husband lost his job the week before Christmas it was a horrible blow.
I wanted to be one of those inspiring bloggers who turned their challenges into triumphs.

I wish I could say I just pulled up my big girl panties and turned that lemon into lemonade.

But I didn't.

I stared with hate and malice at that ugly lemon until it had shriveled and putrefied on the counter of life. I pouted and threw hissy fits over the loss. I cried a lot. I lamented the past 20 years I have spent as a SAHM and my lack of job skills that made it impossible for me to make a meaningful contribution to my family's welfare. I wallowed in that for quite some time. I was the opposite of inspirational.

I did do my best for my family. In my daily life I stayed positive. Our family is even stronger for what we've been through and for that I am grateful.

Luckily, my husband happened into a job. We were watching the news one morning when there was a story about a new restaurant opening in town. They were holding a job fair that day to hire staff.  He told me he was going to check it out. He'd waited tables eons ago and he knew he could make more doing that than he was collecting in unemployment. Plus he hated just sitting around, and if he was waiting tables he could still go to interviews during the day. If nothing else came of it, at least he would get in a little interviewing practice. He went in and was hired as a server.
Well, one thing led to another and he's fast-tracked up the ranks and into management in a matter of a few short months. It's been stressful, but great. He has decided that he's having fun doing this job, he's feeling appreciated and valued by his bosses and really enjoys the people he works with. So the temporary job he got on a whim has turned into his new career.

Who knew?

I guess we should have. Things we do on a crazy whim have a way of working out better for us than the things we carefully plan. Sometimes you just have to trust that life throws things in your path for a reason. They aren't annoying detours, they are the signs pointing you in the right direction.

No comments: